Music and Voice Lessons – Curriculum
MTC’s teachers build their student’s musicianship through a curriculum that covers essential skills, proficiency, widely accepted repertoire, and performance achievements.
Teachers tailor lessons to each student’s age, goals, learning style, and musical preferences. Progress is updated monthly and available to view online. The curriculum includes:
- Method – Widely accepted method books ensure that essential and expected skills are covered
- Music Literacy – Reading and sight-reading of music notation, rhythm, dynamics, and expression
- Technique – Accuracy, speed, stamina, coordination, dynamics, fluidity and efficiency of motion
- Repertoire – Songs necessary to advance as a musician. Piano and Voice curriculum includes classical repertoire
Students advance by completing the requirements at each level, learning songs, and performing in recitals (performing is recommended but not required). Students may progress through two or more levels per year with consistent practice.
- Primer level: Young beginners (Ages 5-7)
- Levels 1-2: Beginner
- Levels 3-4: Intermediate
- Levels 5-6: Advanced / College Prep
Students of all levels are encouraged to perform in our seasonal recitals. Preparing for a performance requires focus and dedication to polish a piece of music, and gives the experience of performing to an appreciative audience. Recitals also provide the opportunity to see fellow students perform and build lasting social relationships.